Thursday, June 14, 2007

On this day...

...a mere 5 years ago, I remember waking up super early to go to the hospital to be induced. Regan was due on June 18th, but my doctor was going out of town and I was considered "high risk" so she didn't want me to go into labor while she was out of town, so she scheduled me for induction. Looking back, I would have waited, but at the time, I was so dreadfully uncomfortable and having contractions and just plain miserable, that I figured, what's one or two less days in the grand scheme of things?

We dropped Riley off at his grandma and grandpa's the night before so that Friday morning we could just head straight to the hospital. I got all checked in and hooked up to all the monitors by 9am. I remember they had to break my water to get it going, and that wasn't so bad. Then after an hour or so, they decided to hook up some pitocin to get things moving faster. I could only take 30 minutes of that since I was on no pain medication. So after they stopped the pitocin, the contractions were going hard and fast at that point. I know I asked for an epidural then thinking that there was no way I could make it much longer, but before they could get an epidural in the room, it was time to push.

Of course my doctor was at lunch, thinking I had plenty of time, so even after scheduling to be induced, I didn't end up with my own doctor. Since this was about 9 months after 9/11, the maternity ward was full, we got the last delivery room available, and they were turning women away! So, needless to say, the doctors were worn a little thin that day. I remember the nurses telling me to stop pushing after only a couple of pushes, in order to wait for the doctor to come in to "catch" the baby. I distinctly remember arguing with them that anyone could catch the baby, but somebody better be ready cause I was not just gonna sit there any longer!! Finally the doctor came in, just in time, did his job, and had to rush right out to catch another one! Crazy day!! So, my little Nadia Regan was born, 7 lbs. 5 oz. at 12:59 pm, less than 4 hours after it all started.

We decided on Nadia because it means "Hope" and Regan which means "Royalty", so she will always be our little Princess.

And now, 5 years later, Regan is most definitely our little Princess. At 5, I can't believe how much personality and attitude she already has. Full of spunk, with a great sense of humor, she is always making us laugh and can brighten your worst day with a smile and a dance, and sometimes a silly face. She is so loving and caring, and loves to take care of her family, and her animals. She was an easy baby from day one, and has always been an easy going child, full of life and wonder. I just can't believe she's about to start kindergarten and won't be my little helper all day anymore.

I know she would be making her Nana proud, especially with how much she LOVES to talk!!

No comments: