Thursday, January 31, 2008

My Day with Riley...and Roy Lichtenstein

There is a lot going on at Riley's school right now, and once I have correct information, I will post about it. I don't want to write anything until I know for sure though. So, there was a need to get Riley away from school today, and I have been wanting to take him to the Austin Museum of Art for the Roy Lichtenstein exhibit. He is known for Pop Art and has done many comic book art images. We met dad for breakfast first at Kerbey Lane for breakfast tacos and pumpkin pancakes, then we headed downtown. Riley enjoyed it quite a bit. They have an audio cell phone tour you can do and Riley listened to several recordings by Lichtenstein explaining his fascination with the dots, and his comparisons to Picasso. It's a small museum, but they had quite an impressive exhibit. There were several abstract pieces, and still life's, and lots of the fun comic book art. Then he made some of his own art in the family play area. They had textiles so you could make your own version of pop art, and a light wall with lots of patterns that you could trace, and a cool hall of mirrors. I will post some of the pics I got in that area, I used Dave's nifty little camera, and I still have to get them off the memory stick. But here's one of mine and Riley's favorite pieces from today, it's called appropriately, "Explosion."

No comments: