Friday, March 1, 2013

Buckle Fracture

Well, what a long day! We got a call last night from the radiologist and they said that Regan's arm is definitely fractured, and to take her to a pediatric orthopedist at Dell Children's ASAP. So I kept her home from school so we could go first thing in the morning. Well, that didn't work out like I planned! I recently changed their primary care physician, because we have new insurance. I was all the way through all the million questions to get the appointment when they say, "Oh wait, you need a referral from your primary doc!"

So, called the NEW PCP, and had to explain, well, we just switched insurance, had to pick a doctor off the list, we have never seen you, but we need a referral. Guess what? Not taking new patients, nothing they can do. So I call the old doctor, hey, I need a referral, quick! Well, they weren't listed as the PCP so they couldn't do the referral. A HUGE MESS!

I was on the phone for over 3 hours trying to get something set up, and they could find us a place to take us but we would have to pay cash, or we found a place that would take us but not until Monday, and I was getting more and more worked up, so I called David and passed the buck to him. He called back within about 30 minutes and had it all taken care of! He talked to a supervisor at the insurance company and they sent a letter promising that we have coverage and they will get their referral ASAP, so they got us in this afternoon finally.

Once I knew we were going to get in, we made our way downtown. We stopped for lunch at one of David's favorite places, Arpeggio Grill, it's a Mediterranean buffet and Regan LOVES that kind of food. She was in heaven. She had never been there before, but I think she would go there for every meal now!

Then on to the ortho, and more x-rays, and sure enough, a buckle fracture of the radius bone. She said it was like when a coke can crumples, and the bone is soft still since she's young and it didn't break all the way through but just kind of crumpled. So, nice hot pink cast, no getting it wet, no scooters, bikes or PE for the next 4-6 weeks! We go back in 4 weeks to see if it's healed up enough to take the cast off. Pretty crazy day! But, she's doing a lot better now. Last night she was in a lot of pain, I think from using it too much, so I think this will help a lot.

No comments: