Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day!



Well, it turned out to be a big coincidence, but I finally got my garden in today, on Earth Day. I have been planning forever, but had to get the cinder blocks, the soil, the plants, all loaded in the back of the truck, back the truck into the backyard to unload, mow the grass, go back to Home Depot to get all the stuff I forgot the first time, come back, and assemble in the rain. Well, it was drizzling, but not full on raining.

I'm excited to try it this way though, I have peppers that I've heard you shouldn't plant next to other things so they don't contaminate them, they are in their own separate holes, and I have 3 different types of tomato plants (if it were up to me, we would have ONLY tomatoes, and every variety of them, I just LOVE garden fresh tomatoes). We also are trying watermelon for the first time, and I got several herbs, stevia, mint and basil. Oh, and we're trying arugula, since one of the kids most favorite meals of all time is Chicken Arugula Pita Pockets. At least I can grow half of that!

Riley did really well helping out, he sampled each of the herbs, really liked the cilantro, and the stevia! He can't wait for the tomatoes, like me, he's a major tomato lover, and I think he will help out a lot with this.

But, the sad news, Riley got to mow the lawn for the first time ever, and he accidentally mowed over a baby bunny. It chopped one ear almost all the way off, and the other ear it cut the tip off. I about gagged, and realized I may not know my true calling in life, but it certainly isn't to be a vet, or a doctor or nurse of any kind. I called Austin Wildlife Rescue and they said to bring it in, since it was still alive, and somewhat dazed, poor thing. It was very bloody, and you could kind of see the scalp. Believe it or not, I did get pictures, but I will spare you here.

We rushed him down to the rescue center and are praying that he makes it. They said we could call tomorrow and check up on him. Riley is traumatized and never wants to mow again. Poor guy, he's so sensitive to these things.

But anyway, we came home, and finished up the garden, just in time for a good rain, and I grabbed some buckets out of the garage and made my own little white trash rain collection system. We have a leaky gutter, so I just put the buckets under it and voila! In about 30 minutes I had 2 buckets full of water for the garden! Next up is a compost pile and worm bin. This is science class in real life!

No comments: