Monday, April 6, 2009

SERVOLUTION!


I *LOVE* our church! Right now we are in the middle of "Servolution" which is a series of community service projects, just getting out there and showing God's love to anyone and everyone. Like the saying goes, People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care! I signed up for just about everything I could. On Saturday we did the Single Mom's Oil Change, David changed oil while Riley played with the bigger kids on the sports court, Regan ran around the whole church bringing hot dogs and donuts to volunteers and playing with some of the kids. I worked on the playground watching kids so the mom's could go inside and get their nails done, or just eat a hot dog in peace! I watched a set of 2 year old twins while mom took a short, much needed hot dog break, and helped her get them buckled into her car when she was done. She thanked me so much, and our church, practically in tears that people would care so much.

Today we met up with a group at a Pflugerville nursing home, and handed out clay crosses and cards that the children's church made for Easter. I took Riley and Regan, a little nervous about Regan and her lack of filter. I went through all the "rules" (it may smell, some people may be loud, or have no teeth, etc. DON'T SAY A WORD!)

But they did great, handed out the gifts, shook hands with some, hugged some, talked even, Regan especially, about stuffed animals, Easter, candy. A lady from the Pflugerville Pflag even took a picture of Regan handing out a gift and asked for permission to print it in the paper!

I think the kids did great, they even want to go back soon, and make cards or something. But what meant the most to me, a lady on her way out the door stopped me and said that the kids really made her mom's day, it was her first day there, and they both were very anxious, nervous, but having the kids come by and bring a gift really put them both at ease and just made her mom feel special. That's what it's all about.

Servolution...pass it on!

No comments: